Thursday, December 20, 2012

The Grinch

Way back when, I told Jack's teacher I'd join his class as a chaperone for their field trip to Madison Square Garden to see the musical of The Grinch. That day was today, and although I Wasn't feeling my best, I managed.

At the school I met the two boys who, with Jack, I would be in charge of. One of them said to me, "Do you like your hair that way?" That was pretty awesome.

We got onto the school bus, I sat with another boy's mom, Jack sat between his two.  Friends. They chattered away happily the whole way down. We saw a really big battleship, that was really cool. We saw Times Square, drove by the Empire State Building, sw the restaurant that didn't have room for us this summer.

At the show, one boy had to go the bathroom before, one had to go about 20 minutes from the end, and then Jack had to go about 5 minutes from the end. Guh. Jack, I made wait. He was ok.

Me and a mom took 10 boys to the bathroom after the show. Scariest 10 minutes ever. Bunch of 7-8 year olds running around ("Walk!") as I did head counts over and over again. I went in with the kids, she stood just outside, and I sent 'em out as they finished. Nerve-wracking. None were lost.

Most of it was great, the Grinch especially. Funny. Some of the Who songs, I kind of sympathized with the Grinch. Loud. At parts the kids lost interest.

But the best part was at the end, when the Grinch brought the toys back, and it SNOWED in the theatre. Not real, but it seemed real. All three kids stood up, reaching out, faces aglow. Worth the price of admission right there.

No comments: